A tattoo is a permanent marking on your body which can be magnificent but also means that it is super important that you know the meanings behind them. Your body is a canvas that you are free to decorate however you wish.
Dragonfly tattoos are a relatively popular option as they have many different associations and meanings, this means that lots of people find a dragonfly tattoo to be a suitable choice for them.
For a long time dragonflies have been associated with being mystical creatures however they are also symbolic of much more than that.
So, What Does The Dragonfly Tattoo Mean?
As previously mentioned dragonfly tattoos are symbolic of many different things. These can include:
- Transformation – Transformation can be a fantastic thing to have symbolised within a tattoo. This could be to do with self-improvement, transforming into a better version of yourself or career based.
- Spiritual Growth – Dragonflies are often also used in relation to spiritual growth therefore a dragonfly tattoo can be symbolic of just this. Spiritual growth can be in relation to religion such as a person turning to god or more related to state of mind if a person has chosen to turn to meditation or spiritually guided exercises. There are many components to the spiritual world and this is a great way of encompassing them all.
- Change – Much like transformation, people can also undergo periods of change throughout their life. If you have recently gone through any sort of change yourself then this could be a great reason to get a dragonfly tattoo. Changes could be age related, job related, house related or linked to pretty much any area of your life.
- Connections With Nature – Of course dragonflies are insects so therefore they also bring with them connotations of nature. So this could be a good option if you are heavily interested in nature or if you are an environmental activist. There is nothing better than a tattoo that represents what is important to you.
- Thoughts, Dreams and Aspirations – Dragonflies connote childlike dreams. They are also often seen at night time which is the time for dreaming. Therefore, dragonflies are often used to represent thoughts, dreams and aspirations so if you want a constant reminder to follow your dreams then this could be it. It could be a good tattoo to get when starting a new challenge in order to help keep you focused.
- Communication With The Deceased – Dragonflies are often related to communicating with lost loved ones therefore, if you want a late relative or friend to feel closer than this could be a great tattoo to get in their memory. It is also non-specific so if you have lost several people close to you then this could be a thoughtful way of representing and remembering them all. It can also be very comforting to feel like you always have them with you in some ways as this can make you feel less alone.
- Living In The Moment – The dragonfly is also symbolic of presence and living in the moment. This can make it a great reminder to yourself to stay present and not focus on things beyond your control. Therefore, the dragonfly is also often used by people who struggle with their mental health.
Best Places To Have Your Dragonfly Tattoo Done
Dragonfly tattoos can be done in pretty much any place that you desire. However, there are some factors to consider such as:
- Size – How big you want your dragonfly tattoo to be should be taken into consideration when trying to decide where to have it. Generally speaking, the tattoo is a relatively small one so can be done on places as small as hands or feet. However, if you are looking for this to be a larger piece you may want to think more about having it done on your back, legs and arms.
- Pain – Like when choosing where to have any tattoo you should consider your own personal pain threshold. Some more painful places include your spine, fingers, and ribs so if you have a low pain tolerance then these might be some places worth trying to avoid.
- Undercover – When deciding to have any tattoo it is important to consider if you want to be able to cover it up. This could be for reasons such as work, family disapproval or for certain social situations. Generally speaking, people have little desire to cover up dragonfly tattoos.
- Social Acceptance – Similarly to the above, when deciding on the placement of your tattoo you should try to weigh up how socially acceptable it is as this could have an impact on where you have it. For instance, if it is a less socially acceptable tattoo you may choose to have it made less obvious between other tattoos.
Similarly, you may choose to have it somewhere small that can be covered up. Overall, the dragonfly tattoo has very few negative connotations so it is likely to be accepted in the vast majority of societies. Therefore, you have a lot of freedom when it comes to this tattoo as you do not need to worry about much backlash.
It is interesting that a tattoo of one small insect can have so many different meanings and in turn can symbolise so many different things. This large variety in meaning means that you can use it to portray many different things.
As mentioned above some of the more common connotations are, but are by no means limited to, feeling connected to a lost loved one, change and transformation as well as spirituality.
This variety of meanings also means that the meaning that you have chosen to convey can be kept private for just you to know or for the people that you choose to share this information with.
Overall, the wide variety in meanings and symbolism mean that you can probably find a way that this is a suitable tattoo for you.
It is also important to note that the tattoo is recognised across many cultures and countries including America, Japan and China.
- 165 Moon Tattoo Designs to Inspire Your Lunar Journey - August 3, 2023
- 135 Back Tattoos for Men: Masterful Artwork for the Modern Man - July 30, 2023
- 55 Sun and Moon Tattoo Concepts Celebrating Celestial Unity - July 29, 2023